My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

6th September 2009 (Sunday)

Got up, finished making the Worcester Cider cake, made some porridge, surfed the net then poodled of for the cycle club leisure ride...

The e-newsletter said...
"On Sunday the Leisure Ride will be heading off to Radstock (approx 50 miles). This is a great ride which we haven’t run for a while (back by popular demand!) The track is rough in places therefore narrow tyres are not recommended. Meet at Chippenham Rugby Club at 9:30am."

I was in two minds which bike to take, either the Dawes Hybrid or the Peugeot steel frame road, as the weather was good I opted for the Peugeot.

I am not sure who the popular demand was, as there were only seven of us on the ride and one of them wasn't going to do the whole ride!

I was expecting some major off road exercise and was really not sure about the 700c x 23 tyres on the Peugeot as it turned out the off road was rather well compacted gravel canal tow paths and some well finished farm tracks :-)

It was quite a long ride to get to the tea room, mainly because of the constant headwind! I was also finding the hills a bit more of a challenge with the gearing on the bike.

After the tea and bacon sarnie :-) we headed back in the direction we had travelled, until we reached the canal and I opted to throw the route sheet away and head in a faster more direct route home.

We headed towards Bradford on Avon, over the very steep hill (I actually had to stand up to get up it! - I am sure it must help my hill climbing having a bike with feck all useful gears!) It was then plain sailing home...

The cycle computer had the ride as 54.77 miles in 3 hours 48 minutes with a rather sad average speed of 14.4 mph.

The GPS track can be found here...

When I got back home (After I showered of course) I set about cleaning, degreasing and re-oiling the Peugeot. Now I'm cooking Cider roast Chicken for tea (Cider is just soooo good AND its one of my 5 fruits a day :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued by the cider chicken (well anything involving cider). Do you have a recipe?
mik

Red Bike said...

I've somehow ended up doing some very narley stuff on slick 23mm tyres. I did a large chunk of the PBW while touring and pulling a trailer using 23mm tyres.

I certainly wouldn't recommend slick 23mm tyres for off-road but if you're carefull you can get away with creaping over some rather demanding terrain.

John Berry said...

Mik... I will explain all about it tomorrow :-)

Red... I was happy enough on an old steel bike with wheels built like an old fashioned outdoors toilet, I would have been a bit upset on my nice road bike with very few posh spokes :-)

I think big fat tyres look a bit more solid on a wheel, I am sure the wheel is just as strong with skinny tyres, I just feel they are more likely to bend!

Post a Comment