My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

2nd September 2009

Worked from home today ;-)

I managed to get out on the bike at lunchtime for a quick 16 miles. The bike was clean when I took it out and it returned just as clean!!!! A miracle that hasn't happened in weeks.


I realised today how things have changed, at one point it was a question of IF I could make it up a hill or how far could I go, now its how fast can I go up the hill and can I really be bothered to change out of the top chain-ring!

I was pleased to finish the ride with an average speed of over 17 mph, there was quite a tough head wind on the outward leg.

The Cycle computer had the ride as 16.13 miles in 56 minutes with an average speed of 17.3 mph.

The GPS track can be found here...

When I got back from the ride I checked for mail and none had arrived, so I settled back into work...

At 5pm I went to check for mail again and it had been delivered, along with a Royal Mail parcel card!!! I had been in ALL afternoon!!!!! (I am sure if the house looks empty they just card it without ringing the door bell)

I had been expecting my Turbo Trainer tyre to turn up, because the weather was turning out as forecast I was hoping to have a quick turbo session....

I descided it would be a good idea? to fit the lights to the Peugeot and cycle to the post office to pick up the parcel!

So I fitted the lights, changed into cycle gear and paddled of to the post office...
1700 Heavy Rain 13.7 °C S 14 mph
6 km 1002 hPa, Falling
On leaving the post office the driving rain stopped, so I came home the indirect way, annoying all of the stationary cars sat in rush hour traffic by doing 20mph past them all :-)

At home I opened the package to find it wasn't for me, it was wifey's :-( as the rain had stopped it seemed like a good idea to go out for a cycle ride :-)

I plodded over to the TT on the Peugeot to see if the TT had happened, I wouldn't have been able to make it there in time to actually participate.

When I got to the start point it was empty, so I cycled on to the finish point (Directly! not via the course) and the time keeper was sat in the car! Apparently only 3 people had turned up and they were on the course, I stopped and chatted until everybody had finished then pottered on home.

The cycle computer had the very wet ride as 22.58 miles in 1 hour 31 minutes with an average speed of 14.8 mph

The GPS track can be found here...

I gave the bike a quick wipe down and sprayed the shiny metal bits with WD40 before putting it away.

Needless to say the bike is now dirty :-(

3 comments:

Rafe said...

I just bought a second-hand turbo-trainer, it's only a basic one without any adjustment let alone one of those fancy remote resistance thingies. But it was cheap and I thought I'd give it a go. Got one of those sweat-capturing, remote-control-holding thingies and found a block of wood to bring the front wheel up to level the bike. Do I need a different tyre as well?

As for the bike... de-humidifier ;)

John Berry said...

You dont have to get another tyre, last year I used a standard back tyre, problem is it gets hot and noisy!

So the tyre wore out, the room stank of hot tyre and flakes of rubber ended up speckling teh tumble drier :-)

So this year I thought I would spend 20 quid on a proper tyre! apparently its quieter and wont melt! so hence shouldn't stink the house out!

I use a lump of wood to raise the front tyre too :-) And as far as load adjustment goes, mine does have it, but to be quite honest its always set to the max and I change the load by changing gear on the bike! Its never as hard as a real ride anyway :-(

I would really like a TACX VR trainer...but wifey would never agree to it :-(

Red Bike said...

Lunch time rides, now there's an idea!

It was lovely and sunny at lunch time here today. Tonight though, omg, the heavens have opened.

Post a Comment