My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

20th September 2009 (Sunday)

Up early, changed straight into cycle gear then milled around the house for a while....got side tracked then set of for the CDW Sunday ride at 9:15, the start point was Chippenham rugby club and it takes about 15 minutes to get there and the ride was supposed to start at 9:30.

None of the 'Fast' people were there this week :-( I set of from the rugby club at my 'normal' pace and suddenly found that nobody was behind me, dilemma....do I continue and be a Billy no mates, stop and wait for somebody to catch up or turn around and join up with them? As I slowed down to contemplate this important question I came across a cyclist walking down the road towards me (I guess that should be a walker pushing a bike towards me!) I stopped and asked if he was ok...

He had a puncture and carried no tools or spare inner tube, as I always carry two I gave him one of them, making me feel good that I had helped out a person in need, it also solved my dilemma of what to do about the 'group' ride that I had turned into a loan ride, the faster group of 3 had caught up with me and I tagged on with them.....In front :-)

I actually used the route sheet this week! I used the Aero Bars as a map holder again...

I thought I was setting a reasonable pace, but apparently it was a little quick, so I dropped back and started following the leader...

This week there was no planned cafe, so we chose one when we got to Tetbury, it was VERY expensive...£5.95 for a pot of tea and a slice of Carrot Cake!

For a change we followed the route sheet back, I just rode at my own fair pace without worrying to much about others.

The roads were fantastic, and the weather was awesome.

At Hullavington I decided to divert from the route sheet and head straight back to Chippenham.

Then I changed my mind as the weather was so nice and I was enjoying myself, I ended up doing another 15 miles instead of the 3 or so to get back home! Only cycling can make you desire a long cut!

On my way back home there is a really dangerous traffic calming feature, that sets the cars against each other head on, there is supposed to be a priority and give way involved but it just does not work, today I had a complete idiot with more money than brains try and take me off my bike head on in his Subaru, shame I didn't get his registration number.

The Garmin had the ride as 51.48 miles in 3 hours 8 mins with an average speed of 16.4 mph, the gps trace can be found here...

When I got back home I showered, changed ate lunch then set about refinishing the wall around the fireplace.

A couple of years ago I came across Wickes ready mix patching plaster, it is awesome stuff really easy to use and even I can get it smooth!

Now all I need to do is let it all set then fit the new bits of Dado, Skirting Board and re-paint...easy :-)

Ohhh I also need to re-grout the slate tiles on the10
hearth and re-seal them...

We noticed that the ashpan cover was missing from the fireplace today :-( lets hope the supplier wont be to difficult about it.

5 comments:

Red Bike said...

I would love to be quick enough to be able to drop the group just riding at my own pace. Sadly I can't see that happening any time soon.

John Berry said...

Ahhh but the group in this case were not the normal faster guys....it was supposed to be a leisure ride...my problem is I like to cycle at a faster pace....BTW congrats on the new house :-)

At least you wont need to do any DIY for a few years yet!

The Former 550 Pound Cyclist said...

Yeah, Thats a goal I need to work towards, Dropping a group :)

John Berry said...

Ahhh you started from a similar place to me...over weight, your legs have muscles and a strength that carried your weight, now you are using them to cycle...You are strong, I suspect that you can blow people away on the flat and down hill, unfortunately hills are a factor of power to weight... I am still a little over weight!

The Former 550 Pound Cyclist said...

Your so right John, On the flat and downhill I can keep up and pass with them best of em, hills however I just die on them, tho with these SPD's Joby was shocked at home much better I was on the way home tonight, I have said for a while the muscles I built when I was cycling at 32/34 stone just keep me powering along at speed now, I seem to be losing no strenght with the weight I lose and that can be nothing but a good thing.

Post a Comment