My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 11, 2009

11th September 2009

Got home late :-(

Decided I was going to go out for a cycle ride anyway! put on a black cycle top because I was going to wear a high-viz jacket over the top...Then forgot to put the jacket on!

I headed of on my 'Normal 20' with the intention of cracking 21 mph again, I also wanted to 'improve' my hill speed a little by not winding down into grind mode.

It was a reasonable NE wind.
1900 Medium-level Cloud 16.8 °C NE 10 mph
25 km 1034 hPa, Falling
2000 Medium-level Cloud 14.5 °C NNE 8 mph
35 km 1034 hPa, Falling

By the time I got to Lyneham - 10 miles it was getting to dark for me to see the cycle computer and I really couldn't be bothered to fiddle about and turn the back light on- So I just kept pushing myself...

After Lyneham I turned out of the head wind and things started to feel a little easier and faster ;-)

Then Chippenham town centre happened again! I was slowed down by cars again!

The end result was 21.28 miles in 1 hour 1 minute with an average speed of 20.9 mph, the GPS track can be found here...

I did find the air temperature noticeably colder when the sun went down...soon going to need the long sleeve tops and cycling trousers out :-(

On the plus side the front light on the bike was perfect in the dark :-)

2 comments:

Joby said...

I've just managed 16.8mph average speed and was proud.... Until I read this :)

You and rebikes never cease to amaze me!

John Berry said...

Ahhh but Joby you must realise I dont live or cycle through a city! When I have traffic problems it is 1 or 2 cars at a set of traffic lights!

16.8 mph is a very respectable speed for the sort of cycling you do. My sole aim for my 20 mile ride is to go as fast as I can, if my speed drops below 20 I put more effort in! If I am doing 22 I try and achieve 23...

Its only 20 miles and only takes an hour so I am not exactly going to get tired and strand myself away from home!:-)

When I do 100 mile rides I try and average 15-17 mph, that then is all about enjoying the ride.

Post a Comment