My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 14, 2009

14th September 2009

Got home at a reasonable time, got changed and started wheeling the bike out of the door and noticed the back tyre was flat :-( I had cycled over quite a lot of glass yesterday but thought I had got away with it!

I lifted the almost impossibly tight tyre of the rim and partially removed the tube, gave it a few pumps of air but the leak was so small I had to take the tube out completely and immerse it in water.

I found the leak then had to reassure myself that the tyre did not have a lump of sharp thing in it.

That's why I line the logo up with the valve :-)

It was simply a case of lining the valve up with the logo and the puncture hole in the tube revealed the suspect area on the tyre, it looked like the lump of sharp thing had sliced the tyre in an area not protected by the puncture proof band!

So after a 15 minute delay of faffing around I eventually got going on my 'Normal 20'

It was complete pants! Don't believe what the met office said...
1800 Medium-level Cloud 15.8 °C N 10 mph 45 km 1025 hPa, Falling
1900 Sunny intervals 14.6 °C N 10 mph 40 km 1025 hPa, Falling
It was a 360 degree 20 mph wind...My intention was NOT to race around the route but I wasn't expecting the struggle!

Everything was really hard work! I did try a different technique on the hills, I tried to change down gear and spin up them - It didn't work for me...YET (The intention is to ride on only the small chain ring for a while....As we say down here "that'l learn me")

The normally fast stretches from Pewsham to Derry Hill and Calne to High Penn were slow! Calne to Lyneham because of the direct head wind! All the hills were tough as my legs were still a little tired from yesterday.

The Garmin had the ride as 21.26 miles in 1 hour 12 minutes! with an average speed of 17.6 mph (Shocking!) The GPS track can be found here...

Today was my first ride since the winter in cycle trousers, Its starting to get very cold after the sun has gone down...Perhaps I can blame the poor performance on the long legs and sleeves of the jacket and trousers, although common sense would probably dictate that it is fatigue from the weekend and the northerly wind on a route that favours south easterly winds.

2 comments:

Joby said...

21 miles in 1hr 12 is shocking??

John Berry said...

Well I have got used to doing the 21 in an hour....

I must try harder next time!

Post a Comment