My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

25th August 2009

Was feeling quite tired and worn out on the way home from work and actually contemplated not going out for a cycle ride!

But as I neared home the sun came out and I thought I would go out for a quick short ride....The ground was wet so I thought I would take the Peugeot steel road bike out.

Now the problem with me and cycling is once I get going I don't want to stop! I headed off with the intention of doing a 10 mile loop, on the return leg I thought it would be a good idea to go up Bowden Hill.

Now Bowden Hill is not too steep (about 1:6) and is easy enough on the Merida (Compact 34/50 with 12/27) and the Hybrid (Triple) but on the Peugeot it was quite a challenge, I did succeed :-)
but it does show that hill climbing is as much gearing as it is muscle power. I think over the winter it may well help my technique as well!

Now it wasn't to much of a big deal me lengthening my ride apart from....Its nearly Winter again and its getting dark earlier...I must always take lights with me now!

I did make it back home safely but I have to carry the lights and high-viz jacket :-( ohhh well farewell summer it was good while it lasted...

The cycle computer had the ride as 21.25 miles in 1 hour 15 minutes with an average speed of 16.8 mph.

The GPS track can be found here...

The Peugeot is an interesting bike it has Biospace chain-rings that are oval and are supposed to reduce the load on the knee's. The down tube shifters work perfectly and quite interestingly 14 gears are still to many! I guess if I can get comfortable hill climbing on the Peugeot over the winter the Merida compact chain set will be a breeze next summer :-)

2 comments:

Red Bike said...

I always find the problem with cycling is you can't just stop.

You can't just decide, i've had enough now and stop there and then. You have to keep going until you get home.

John Berry said...

Hmmm well I did plan to stop at 10 miles....and I should have been back home.

But I kinda got carried away :-)

Post a Comment