My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

19th August 2009

Work from home today...

Part 1...

The SUN is out....and its HOT :-)
1200 Sunny intervals 22.6 °C S 11 mph
30 km 1016 hPa, Rising

Learning from last week, where I hammered around my 'Normal 20' at lunch time then wondered why I had a poor time on the evening TT, I thought I would go for a nice short leisurely 10 miles - just to keep myself active :-)

Well I ended up doing 13 miles and challenged myself to a few hills...(Perhaps that was a bad idea - we will find out tonight!)

The cycle computer had the ride as 13.23 miles in 55.06 mins with an average speed of 14.4 mph and a total climb of 1078 feet (There were a couple of 1:6 climbs :-)

The GPS track can be found here...

Lets hope the weather is the same for the evening TT :-)

Part 2....

The weather held, it was perfect :-)
1800 Sunny 22.5 °C SW 15 mph
35 km 1014 hPa, Falling
1900 Sunny intervals 20.8 °C SW 10 mph
30 km 1014 hPa, Falling

I set of from home at 5:45 and signed in at 6:15....I was number 4 :-)

I had a good start and managed to catch up with 3, 2 and 1 all in a gaggle at the same time at the 4 mile point :-) (Bearing in mind that each rider sets of a minute apart that was a bit of a miracle) Problem then was I had nobody else to chase :-(

I crossed the 10 mile finish point with an official time of 25:25 (Although the Garmin had it as 25:30)

The cycle computer had the TT as 10.1 miles in 25 minutes 30 seconds with an average speed of 23.6 mph.

The GPS track can be found here...

6 comments:

Rafe said...

Hi John,

Followed you here from Amazing Shrinking Gaz's blog. I'm stunned by how far you've come in 18 months, the number of miles you manage to do and your average speed on a TT!

I've just started blogging, so if you're interested follow the link and I hope you enjoy it.

Off to read your LEJOG stuff now as it's something I'd love to do. Just need to decide if I'm going to do it on road bike, MTB (off-road) or in my old Land Rover!

John Berry said...

Ahhh hello Rafe, just had a look at your blog :-)...

I did JOGLE.....down hill and all you know ;-)

I see you have a Garmin 705.....Top tip dont by the garmin maps, either dl them from http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php
or build your own from OSM...
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Cycle_map

Rafe said...

Ah, you took the route with gravity on your side ;)

I've got the Garmin European maps already but thanks for the suggestion. With a bit of shopping around I found the "road package" with 705, heart rate, cadence and european maps on SD card for the same price as most people were doing the 705 & one sensor for.

Have looked at the OSM and it's not bad at all, but not (yet) as complete as the Garmin maps. Give it a year or two and the mapping companies should be getting pretty scared I reckon.

The Former 550 Pound Cyclist said...

I have to agree with Rafe, The progress in 18 months is AMAZING

John Berry said...

Thank you both of you....Somebody once described me as having an addictive personality, I am also very pig headed, the more I am told I cant do something the more inclined I am going to!

Now I am hooked, I enjoy the cycling experience, I am still pushing my personal envelope...

I want to cycle 8000 miles this year, I not only want to complete the Exmoor Beast I want a good time!....

Cycling is now part of my life...I dont feel right if I dont get out on the bike....

The Former 550 Pound Cyclist said...

Im the same in many ways, Im 22 stone, If I was told I would not lose any more weight then so be it, I would carry on cycling every single day and love it, but if someone told me I would wake up tomorrow and be 14 stone but could never cycling again I would be gutted

Post a Comment