My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 10, 2009

10th August 2009

Decided to take a night off from cycling :-)

Had tea then cleaned the bike from yesterday... Stripped off the old 11/25 Cassette

And fitted the shiny new 12/27

Along with a new KMC chain... Interestingly the chain length required was the same for the 27 as the 25.

Whilst I had it all apart I stripped down the jockey wheels cleaned and re-lubed them.

The old (Not that old) 11/25 Cassette was fitted to the spare wheel.

I had to adjust the B-tension for the slightly larger cassette but everything else was fine.

I then set about removing the rear de-railer cable and fitting the new outers (I had to shorten one of them to accommodate the in-line tensioner), I ran the new cable through and......DAMN it was an inch to short........ I guess the two gear cables weren't the same length and I used the wrong one when I replaced the front cable :-(

On the plus side the removed rear cable was slightly kinked and rough so may well have been the cause of the less than smooth gear changes, I exercised and lubed the parallel pins on the mech anyway, it now seems very smooth :-)

Hopefully wifey will be able to pick up a new cable tomorrow, then I can quickly fit it and go out for a ride......

2 comments:

Red Bike said...

A 27tooth cassette - Thats a sign of too many hills :)

John Berry said...

Ahhh but I am scheduled to do the Exmoor Beast,Dartmoor Devil and I want to do better than well in the cycle club hill climb :-)

I have the power but am still carrying a bit to much luggage to cope with the 25%'s

Post a Comment