My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

10th March 2010

Worked from home today :-)

I popped into LBS at lunch time and explained my gear change issues on the Peugeot, I believe that the chain line has shifted outwards by a couple of mm, I was interested in changing the bottom bracket for a sealed cartridge and perhaps getting a narrower one to bring the chain line back in.

He said...we can do that for you :-) So I dropped the bike of :-)

I also bought a set of plastic mudguards and a desent set of spoke keys (I didn't like the full bolt on SKS mudguards I bought last year, and my multi fit spoke key was pants!).

After work I fitted all the new bits n bobs to the bike...

I also moved the Garmin mount from the top tube to the handlebars, I was always a bit nervous of the garmin vibrating and twisting around the bars....But its almost impossible to use it to navigate when its on the top tube!

I also spent a few minutes truing the back wheel up, it had got a little out of shape....

After tea I set of on my normal Wednesday evening ride, on the Dawes! the first time I have been on a road ride on it in over a year...

It was a lot easier than I had expected, far more gears than I know what to do with! The rolling resistance was noticeably greater but not to bad.

The real pain was the head wind, there is no way to drop down and reduce the resistance...

I stopped of at the cycle club on the way home and registered and picked up the route sheet for this Sundays club 100k audax. I also had a cuppa and a slice of cake then headed on home just as the club quiz night started.

The Garmin had the ride as 23.89 miles in 1 hour 34 minutes with an average speed of 15.2 mph...route here...

The plan is to use the Hybrid exclusively now so that I can get some miles in on it in preparation for Easter weekend and NCR5...

3 comments:

Red Bike said...

I've started bidding on garmins edges (605/705) on ebay. I'm only bidding up to £100 so theres very little chance I will actually win one.

I have the old Garmin Legend but i'm terrible at reading the grey scale map. I can't tell a the difference between a river and a road and its virtually impossible to spot the grey line representing the track you're following amongst all the grey roads.

Paul Freegard said...

Hi John.

I see that you have already put the CDW 100k route on ridewithgps. What a star you are! Anyhow, I am currently struggling with my new toy a Garmin 705 computer thingy. (Thanks wifey). I wondered if you could help me out a little. I have 2 main issues.

1. For some reason I cant get the unit to set to the correct time. Date is ok. I think this is because I 'accidently' set my home country to Uzbekistan instead of United Kindom when I first switched it on. When I go into SETTINGS/TIME/TIME ZONE and try to change this it displays 'sunrise'. Every time I try to click on 'sunrise' the unit powers off and restarts. I did go for my first ride yesterday evening and have succesfully uploaded it to the ridegps and garmin connect websites

2. Try as I might I cannot save someone else's route to the Garmin from either a) The Garmin Connect site b) the Wheelers Flapjack route or c) your RidewithGPS CDW 100k Audax route. The garmin manual is useless in trying to understand this. Wiggle reviews say I should use be using GPX track and not GPX route. I have tried loading both the CDW Flapjack .gpx and .tcx routes into the GPX folder on the 705 and still no joy.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Paul Freegard

Paul Freegard said...

John

I've sorted issue 1) above by speaking to friendly support people at Garmin. Just going to check 2) out

Thanks
Paul

Post a Comment