My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

9th January 2010

It was far to cold and icy for me to even contemplate going out on the ChainGang this morning.

0900 Sunny intervals -4.7 °C NNE 11 mph
12 km 1026 hPa, Rising

The side roads still had an unhealthy covering of compacted snow and I definitely have a cold hanging about me.

Wifey n me took Rosie (Dog) for a walk in the icy snow, it was very pretty, but slippery and cold, that made my mind up about NOT going out on the hybrid down the trails.

When we got back fron the walkies we went shopping, the main roads seemed clear of any slippery stuff, we had brunch at Morrisons whilst we were out:-)

As the roads were clear and it was a little warmer....ish )If you can call -2 warm) , I decided it would be a good idea to go out for a cycle ride :-)
1300 Sunny -2.0 °C NNE 16 mph
20 km 1025 hPa, Falling
1400 Sunny intervals -2.1 °C N 17 mph
20 km 1025 hPa, Falling
I did my a modified 'Normal 20' - I didn't cut down Sutton Lane but instead stayed on the main road.

The Garmin had the ride as 21.59 miles in 1 hour 22 minutes with an average speed of 15.8 mph, route here..

Surprisingly I didnt get to cold, apart from my fingers... I have taken to putting poly bags over my cycle shoes and under my over shoes - it definitely keeps the wind chill off:-)

---Edit---
Cooked Crispy soy honey pork mince and rice for tea, had rice pudding for well pudding! after tea wifey had to take son to Melksham so I took the opportunity to have a quick hour on the rollers.

Instead of just concentrating on cadence in 13/34 I did some power work, I did 10 minutes easy spin then hopped onto the big chain ring and did 5 minutes high cadence in each gear 24, 21, 19, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12.

13 and 12 was bloomin hard work!

The cycle computer had the session as 1 hour with an average speed of 22.1 mph covering 22.19 miles with a maximum speed of 39.5 mph.

We have also worked out the provisional route and stop points for the NCN 5 trip

Day 1 - http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=30097 night stop at Falcon Hotel Shipston On Stour
Day 2 - http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=30098 night stop at The Hedgehog
Day 3 - http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=30102 night stop at Mountain Park Hotel
Day 4 - http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=30103 no night stop planned yet! but may well do :-)

5 comments:

richb said...

Did not do CG either myself. But I did so a lovely mountain bike ride round Landsdown with some others from John's Bikes in Bath and some expensive Trek demo mountain bikes.

Also "spun" on the "Project One" Trek Madone they had in the shop. It had the Dura-Ace Di2 electric shift fitted. I was always sceptical about the idea of electric shifts but having tried it, I think it is awesome. The front shifter needs to be tried to be believed. It even auto-trims.

Get over the cold soon mate, I am trying to ignore mine too.

Clive Chapman said...

The day 2 map JB goes within 200 yards of my house. It might be an opportunity to meet up and join you for an hour. I say an hour, what I really mean is until you disappear into the distance!

Matt said...

Nice one for getting out! The roads round here are still very dangerous, although I have seen a few people out on their bikes.
Your route is looking good for the NC5 ride, Let me know when your doing it as I would love to join you from Didcot to Oxford maybe?

John Berry said...

Clive, Matt I would be honoured for you to join me/us....The intention is to do the ride over Easter...Starting Friday 2nd April at Reading, Finishing Monday 5th at Holyhead...Probably overnighting at Maentwrog (Snowdonia) on the Monday Night...I fancy a ride around the mountains on the Tuesday Morning :-)

Red Bike said...

It seems weeks since we've had a proper club run.

Post a Comment