My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 1, 2010

1st January 2010

Got up stupidly early and went for the longest cycle of the year.....well it is day 1 of the year :-)

I set off at 8:07 and headed of to Chichester to visit family, wifey set off a few hours later in the car...

It was a tadge chilly out! Just looked at the met office and it didn't climb to 1 degree all day...

I headed out from Chippenham to Calne and headed towards Alton Barnes, and the air was crisp and bright.

And the roads were super empty

From Alton Barnes I headed down to Upavon and across the Salisbury Plain.

I had a fantastic tail wind all the way over the plain and made up some good time.

Then I got to Hampshire, my god the rolling hills of the Hampshire Downs are just like Devon and Cornwall, it was never ending climbing and descending. The climbs were steep enough to be a pain in the arse and not long enough to get a good rhythm going, the descents were too short to give much recovery.

When I got to Winchester I found my crossing point over the M3 without to much difficulty, but I had my first falling off incident of the year, there was a narrow path that had a sharp bend around a locked gate, I overbalanced and got tangled around the gate post, thankfully I had a soft landing and found myself lying on the ground giggling :-)

There were a few more ups and downs, when I reached Catherington the speed picked up and it was more or less down hill the rest of the way to Chichester.

When I stopped I unclipped the mudguards, took the front wheel out and loaded the bike into the car, I was able to shower and change and a fantastic meal was laid on and I ate more than my fair share :-)

The Garmin had the ride as 87.92 miles in 5 hours 43 minutes with an average speed of 15.4 mph, route here...

1 comments:

Red Bike said...

I haven't been out yet this year. I don't seem to be doing much at the moment - no time.

Mud-guards and cars don't mix. They either get knocked so they rub or you have to remove them to get the bike in the car. Either way you're going to have to stop seveeral times on the next ride to stop them rubbing.

Post a Comment