My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

23rd January 2010

Got up and changed straight in to cycle gear...

I was not sure about going out on the chain gang this morning after experiencing all of the flood water yesterday.....but after the mammoth blow-out meal last night I HAD to go out!

Considering it took nearly 2 hours to clean the bike last night it was a shame that it was dirty within 10 minutes :-(

I started off ok, but as the ride went on I started to find it really hard work....Indoor training is great for spinning but does NOT help with the real world load...

As the ride drifted on I ended up sitting on the back....In my justification it was a fast ride...and I was on a heavy steel bike!

The Garmin had the ride as 40.86 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes with an average speed of 18.1 mph and a maximum speed of 29.7 mph, route here...

I'm trying to plan my ride for tomorrow, I usually use bikehike...but the site no longer allows saving so I have been looking for some alternatives...The best so far seems to be bikeroutetoaster
but I am having issues with it timing out :-(

I suppose I will find something suitable soon.....shame as I did like bikehike...

5 comments:

richb said...

I found that CG yesterday dragged for the first half but I really loved the second half with a good pace being set. Did see you from about Corsham, where did you get to?
Oh, I got awarded the half-wheel trophy last night - stitch up I tell you.

Crimmey said...

hi, Just out of interest, coz I very rarely go out with a chain gang usually on my own, how much faster if at all would you go than if you went solo? Im trying to guage the effort required to stay in the pack in a race and I've never raced before.

John Berry said...

Hiya Crimmey...I recon that the pace is about 2 to 3 mph faster when riding in close formation...

The effect of slipstream has to be felt to be believed...

My normal pace at this time of the year is down to about 15-16 mph on the Chain Gang the pace is raised to 17-20 mph with little more effort being put in...

In the summer the average speed of the gang on a 40 mile ride is about 21-22 mph...

The key is to switch the lead reasonably frequently so that everybody takes the hit of being in front at some point.

Anonymous said...

There's a new route site that's worth a look - try ridewithgps.com

John Berry said...

@Chas.....Ohhh I just had a look...I like that :-)
It's very swish.....Thank You:-)

Post a Comment