My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

6th January 2010

Worked from home today :-)

It snowed, then snowed a bit more....I really wanted to go out on the Dawes Hybrid along the cycle paths, but I feel like I am coming down with a cold :-( My back is also still aching...

Instead I set the rollers up and cycled for an hour in the warm and dry :-)

The cycle computer had the session as 1 hour with an average speed of 20.9 mph distance covered obviously 20.98 miles in 13/34 gear, that gives a cadence of 102.2.

Whilst I was pedalling my back felt better, but now I have stopped it is twinging again :-( Not sure if I will go to the cycle club meeting tonight or not...It's too far to walk, I'm not going to drive and it may be to dodgy to cycle.

I have been planning my cycle rides for the first part of the year, my plan is to do the two sportives I have already registered for (Tour of Wessex, Dragon Ride), I will mainly focus on Audax events the ones I have registered for so far are ..Chippenham FlapJack, Windrush Winter Warmup, Heart of England 300, the Heart of England 300 looks really interesting :-) 189 miles in 1 day, going from Cirencester to North of Coventry and back again...route here....wifey thinks I'm mad.

I have plans to do the West Bay and Back and the Dartmoor Devil again this year.

A number of my fellow bloggers have also mentioned cycling the length of NCN 5, it is a little over 360 miles from end to end, something that is achievable in 4 days, I think they want to take longer :-( and don't want to start at Reading and finish at Holyhead...so I am not sure about it....

****************EDIT*****************
Well I must be mad....I changed into cycle gear and cycled over to the cycle club meeting after tea!

I walked the side roads and pedalled slowly on the main roads, they are going to get treacherous over night!

Lyneham had the weather observations as...
1900 Partly cloudy -2.6 °C NNE 17 mph 30 km 1008 hPa, Rising
2000 Clear Sky -3.4 °C N 15 mph 30 km 1009 hPa, Rising
I ended up doing 4.92 miles in 30 minutes (That includes half a mile or so of walking), route here...

In some sort of strange way I feel happy that I got out on the bike, the roads were completely empty!
*********************************************************************

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your wife is right, you are mad! I've been saying it for ages.

120 miles in a day is the most I've ever done and I was dead at the end of it. Though it was on a mountain bike with slick tyres on road so perhaps I could have gone further on a proper road bike.

I'm happy to do the whole of NCN - it would certainly be "cooler" to do it all. I was just trimming off the ends to be convenient to Matt's house and Joby's in-laws.

I would like to stay on for a day or two so we can have a good celebratory night out and I do NOT want to be doing that in Holyhead!

I suppose we could finish in Holyhead and then get our transport to take us back to Llandudno?

For 360 miles I would rather take 5 days (70 mpd) than 4 (90 mpd). But who knows, maybe I'll actually lose some weight and be fitter by then. Though I can't ever see myself being up to your standard.

All that said, it's Matt's challenge which I agreed to do to support him. With all due respect to the big fella, he's a long way to go with his cycling/weightloss so it needs to be realistic. Though like me he hopes his situation will change in the next 18months but yours will have too.

As Matt said, it's all ideas at the moment so feel free to keep chipping in :)

Red Bike said...

I'm definately up for the ncn5 ride

I have a trailer so I can help carry someone elses gubbins and my house is right on the route so thats one stop sorted.

John Berry said...

Rafe....Not trying to tread on toe's :-) But equally I understand we all have different abilities, I would want to treat it as a challenge :-)

Red....I would like to do the ride as well, but I am thinking more of a four day event over a long weekend....start Friday AM finish Monday PM, back to work on the Tuesday...Should be more than enough time for it :-)...I wouldn't want to break anybody...so I may well end up sorting something out...

Rafe said...

Didn't think you were treading on toes at all. No point in doing it with slower riders if you're going to find it frustrating. You're mad, we're normal. That's all it really boils down too ;)

Your plan means just two days off work, but does avoid the opportunity of a good bash at the end of it.

I think you should do it over 4 days early next year. Then give us a gpx file of the route plus any tips ;) You could also stop at Red's house to see if he's a weirdo or if he's a nice chap that makes nice cake.

Post a Comment