My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 7, 2009

7th December 2009

My "Tacx Antares Professional Training Rollers" turned up from Wiggle today :-)

I had been told by a fair few people that they are a completely different experience to the Turbo Trainer (mine being an Elite Volare Mag Lite), I was told that I will NOT find them boring and you definitely wont need a TV/music to keep you occupied!

When I got in from work I unpacked the rollers and assembled them (Took about 5 minutes flat), extended the frame and made sure no adjustments were needed, the back wheel sits in between two rollers and the front sits directly on top of a third.

I then got changed into summer cycling gear for my initiation...

The first issue...climbing onto a turbo mounted bike is easy, its fixed in place! Climbing onto a bike on the road is easy, you just lean it towards you and hop on..scoot along a bit and away you go!

The bike on the rollers is not fixed! it is three inches higher than the ground, problem solved hop on bike on ground then shifty it on to the rollers!

Now how to start.....well I grabbed on to the bookcase in my office and started pedalling, problem was I couldn't let go of the bookcase without fear of falling.....

Problem solved! move the rollers into a doorway, lean against wall and start cycling :-)

It is a VERY interesting experience! you really have to focus on your balance and smooth cycling. Any erratic handlebar movement could be disastrous! Stopping pedalling is not an option either!

Normally on the Turbo I just work up a sweat and my legs ache a little, the 40 minutes I spent on the rollers flew by, I worked up the same sweat, my legs ached but my upper body also feels like I had worked out!

After the first 10 minutes I did feel like my cycling was getting smoother, even to a point where I could grab a drink without almost falling of the rollers.

I think it may be a few more hours before I am able to move out of the doorway and back into my office!

And if you are feeling brave here is one final photy wifey took as I was just starting off on the rollers :-)

7 comments:

Nath & Becks said...

I am sure you are wearing Lycra.....Yep deffinatly Lycra and no VPL...John, you have changed!!!! :-)

John Berry said...

Nathan...You inspired me :-)

Ray D said...

one way to stop people getting round the house ;-) set your bike up in the door way and they just have to stay and watch LMAO

John Berry said...

Ray...The best thing was that the noise irritated my son :-) - Pay back time for all of his noisiness.

Normally I am banished to my office and the door is closed.

Anonymous said...

I was half expecting big ratchet straps for safety, like they do on rolling roads with cars :) I guess if you come off you go flying through the house? Sounds crazy to me! Crazy enough that I want a go!

John Berry said...

Rafe...it is a very interesting experience!

I am certain that it will improve my cycling technique, I was already finding my riding smoother.

I think that Newton bloke was a bit clever when it comes to laws of motion! I have a feeling that falling of the rollers would lead to a sudden stop, and that's when his mumbling about gravity would come in to play

Joby said...

I'd need to wear one of these if I was going to do something like that:

http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=16471&site=CI&cm_mmc=cse-_-nextag-_-infant_activity-_-EV-041&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=22-36102890-2

Post a Comment