My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

3rd December 2009

I think they may be right, I may be mad!

I was contemplating this as I was riding around my 'Normal 20' in the dark, dressed up like the Michelin man with freezing cold feet...

How sane is it for somebody to get up 4 days a week at 5:20 am drive 70 ish miles north (Yes my northern readers I consider Warwick to be in the north!) walk 2 miles for a bit of lunchtime exercise and at the end of the working day drive 70 ish miles to the beautiful south..then get changed and go out for a 20 mile cycle ride in the freezing cold???

Lyneham had the weather as..
1900 Clear Sky 2.2 °C W 10 mph 30 km 1002 hPa, Rising
2000 Clear Sky 2.2 °C W 13 mph 35 km 1003 hPa, Rising
Interestingly I did feel quite warm for the first 10 miles, when I got to Lyneham it felt like the temperature suddenly plummeted, by the time I has done 17 miles it felt like somebody was prizing my toe nails of with tooth picks :-(

As I was out I had a reminder why we should all have a hard wearing winter bikes...I was passed by a gritting lorry chucking instant corrosion on the road (and all over the bike).

The Garmin had tonight's ride as 21.27 miles in 1 hour 14 minutes with an average speed of 17.2 mph, route here...

So my final comment...when you have had a tough day and cant be arsed to get out on the bike, think about me...I have probably been up longer, travelled further and still get out! and the mad thing is I seem to have more energy and am in a better mood because of it!

3 comments:

Nath & Becks said...

your mood does seem better!!!lol :-).

hope you are well, I am still reading the blogs. However I am truly in the beutifull south now, ok its the southern hemisphere!!!!!

I think you would love the cycling over here, every road I have seen so far has a cycle lane, wide and clearly marked. There are also some amazing hills and places to ride. We are only 30miles from the Glass House Mountains.. I still do not have a bike, but I will once I have a house and somewhere to keep it! Take care, Nath

Clive Chapman said...

John, I remember as a lad pedalling with my brother to RAF Brize Norton from the center of Birmingham where we lived for the air show. We went to Coventry and down the Fosse Way as I recall, a cracking day out. You never know I might get back to that mileage again. Especially if I embrace the dark side! But your point about getting out every day whatever is absolutely true. You miss one, then two, then before you know it you've stopped and back in the same old lifestyle again.

John Berry said...

Nathan...Good to hear from you, I am now truly envious of you....
I hope the job front is working out as you had hoped, I am now waiting for your new blog adventures to begin :-)

Clive having a routine and sticking to it is the most important thing, I would really love to work near enough to where I live to be able to cycle to work. But to get the most benefit from being on the bike the session should be greater than 45 minutes, apparently you don't enter the fat burning zone until then. That is one of the main reasons my 'normal' ride is 20 miles.

Post a Comment