My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 28, 2009

28th December 2009

Woke up far to early for a holiday day... Looked outside and it was dark but looked clear, went back to bed for a snooze, as it got lighter it looked like a really sharp frost and a bit of a freezing fog...Not ideal weather for braving the Salisbury Plain but I had promised myself a return visit to Imber :-)

I had a bit of an idea to ensure the video would point forwards and not down to the ground, I took the lights off the bike and fitted the camera mount.


As can be seen from the photo it was a bit chilly out, Lyneham had the weather observations for the ride as...

0900 Medium-level Cloud -1.8 °C ENE 7 mph
30 km 1005 hPa, Falling
1000 Medium-level Cloud -0.9 °C E 7 mph
25 km 1005 hPa, Falling
1100 Sunny intervals 1.4 °C E 7 mph
35 km 1005 hPa, Rising
1200 Sunny intervals 2.4 °C E 8 mph
40 km 1004 hPa, Falling
1300 Sunny intervals 3.3 °C ESE 7 mph
40 km 1003 hPa, Falling

I had plotted my route to avoid as many main roads as I could, unfortunately this made progress slow as nearly all of the roads had an unhealthy ice and frost covering on them.



But the frost covered fields did look very picturesque



Surprisingly I wasn't feeling to cold....At Bratton I was in two minds whether to deviate from route and climb to the top of the White Horse...The thought of Ice on the descent into Westbury put me off the idea so I stuck to the route.

At Westbury I joined the rather busy A350 for a couple of miles at Warminster I then cut across Elm Hill and joined Imber Road :-)

If you feel bored enough here is the sped up video of the ride down Imber Road (30 minutes into about 3 :-)

The plain is very wide open with no protection from the elements and I started to get cold, very cold!

But I did see the tanks again :-)





Well worth the return visit :-)

After Imber I carried on over the plain heading home via Market Lavington, Worton, Poulshot and finally sticking to the A342 from Rowde.

The Garmin had the ride as 54.74 miles in 3 hours 56 minutes with an average speed of 13.9 mph (I blame the frozen roads and the exposed roads over the plain), The route can be found here...

When I got home my feet were completely frozen, they actually hurt when they were thawing in the shower.

1 comments:

Clive Chapman said...

Good pics of the dead Chieftans mate.

Post a Comment