My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

24th December 2009

Got up, sorted the fire out and made porridge for breakfast.

Headed of to Chippenham Town bridge for the Christmas eve ride to the pub :-) it was quoted as...
"The traditional Christmas Eve club ride will take place. This will be a 20 mile route for a Christmas Drink at the Dumb Post via the lanes. Meet Chippenham Town Bridge 10:00am. Decorated bikes according to the season are positively encouraged!"
Wifey decided that she would decorate my bike for me...

The main roads appeared to be clear of ice, unfortunately the side roads and cycle ways where a skating ring,

The group ride immediately set of down one of the cycleways and it was a sheet of ice, I opted for turning around and going back home to change bikes!

I swapped the Peugeot for the Dawes, 28 mm Marathon Plus tyres gave me a bit more confidence than 23 mm slick tyres! I then headed out down the lanes in the hope of finding the rest of the group, I didn't find them :-(but the lanes were all ice free :-)

I found myself at the pub an hour too early, So I headed out around the lanes again for another 10 miles or so, arriving back at the pub at 11:50.

I parked the bike up and warmed up in front of the fire with a nice pint of Cider :-)

Wifey pitched up and we ordered lunch, then everybody else arrived :-)

We stayed, ate and had a few drinks then I set of home...Staying ahead of wifey in the car for well over a mile :-)

Spent the afternoon between baking Mince-Pies and playing computer games :-)

The Garmin had today's ride as 22.62 miles in 1 hour 43 minutes with an average speed of 13.2 mph, route here...

Whilst I was cleaning the Peugeot last night I noticed a small amount of play in the Bottom Bracket, I looks like it is a 3 part maintainable assembly, plan is to strip it down, clean it and re-grease it over the next couple of days.

1 comments:

richb said...

It was actually quite fun on the ice and I only fell a few times.

You should have introduced me to the famous wifey. Don't think I got to say goodbye - have a fab Christmas and I will see you for some boxing day madness.

Post a Comment