My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

20th December 2009

Got up this morning and it was still a bit chill out! Lyneham had the current observation as...
0800 Clear Sky -3.2 °C W 5 mph
30 km 1001 hPa, Falling
I changed straight into cycle gear and defrosted the bike in front of the kitchen radiator (The living room fire had gone out)

I decided that if the main roads were frozen I would not venture out, the side roads were all frozen solid.


The main roads looked OK, so I headed out to the Wavin main gate for the start of the Sunday leisure ride.

The road seemed OK until just before the Wavin entrance, the B4069 had packed ice on it :-( The Wavin side road had frozen snow :-(

Richard had ventured out on his bike and was chatting with Mike, I pitched up slowly! and a few moments later Paul turned up, it was decided by ALL that we were completely MAD and should turn around and go home.

I had to walk back through the town centre (it's closed during the day), I carried on to the garage and bought some fire lighters, then carried on home.

The very short (3.78 miles) ride is here...

When I got in I lit the fire, then changed down to summer cycle gear for a session on the rollers.

I thought it would be good to put the cycle computer on the bike so that I could see what my speed was doing and ultimately see if I could calculate my cadence accurately.

Unfortunately due to a lack of handlebar space I had to fit it to the AeroBars...

I then set myself up and did an hour, it was bloody hard work!

I was surprised to see that I was averaging greater than 20 mph. At 45 minutes I needed to shift weight as my butt was aching :-( I stopped for a couple of minutes to drink and relax, then I set of again for the last 15 minutes.

When I finally finished my clothes were completely soaked through, and the floor under the bike was swimming.

I tidied everything up and had a fantastic shower, then sat down and googled cadence calculations.

The first one I came across uses google search itself by entering the following function in to the search bar...(((average speed) miles per hour) / ((Wheel Diameter) metres)) * (gear teeth) in (minutes ^ -1)

so for me it was...

((20.4 miles per hour) / (2.097 metres)) * (13/34) in (minutes ^ -1)


This returned 99.7685837

The next calculation returned a different answer :-(

336 divided by your gear inch = your cadence at one mph so times it by you average speed for you average cadence

for me was....

336/ 66.7 = 5.03748 * 20.4 = 102.76

And finally the one I worked out for myself using (HPV Drivetrain Analyser) was....

Distance * crank rev per mile / 60

for me was

20.43 * 293.5 / 60 = 99.93675

So I reckon with some degree of confidence that I am holding just under 100 rpm cadence....

Ohhh for those of you who like me don't really like traditional Christmas music here's an alternative...

0 comments:

Post a Comment