My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

28th February 2010

I woke up with no ill affects from yesterday's little jaunt-et :-) so I asked wifey for permission to go out on the cycle club leisure ride..she said yes..so I got up and headed of to the start at the Wavin entrance for the 9:30 start...

As seems to be my habit of late I got there far to early...

The weather forecast for today was not kind and only 6 other guys turned up. I was a little taken aback the route sheet had us climbing some of the BIG local hills, I was hoping to have a nice leisurely flat ride - and I was on the Peugeot as I hadn't yet sorted the gears out on the Merida.

At 9:30 we set off, I was in front of course! I seemed to be making light work of the hills :-)

The weather was miserable, cold, wet and windy so when we got to Winterbourne Bassett we all decided to cut the ride shorter and head straight to Avebury, over Cherhill and stop at the Divine cafe for a warm cuppa and a bacon sandwich.

After the cuppa I was absolutely frozen and needed to get going to warm up...We decided to head back to Chippenham via Stockley and Headington, through Sandy Lane and down the main road back into Chippenham...

The Garmin had the ride as 41.05 miles in 2 hours 48 minutes with an average speed of 14.6 mph, route here...

It was nice to get out on the bike but it couldn't exactly be called a recovery ride! The head wind over Cherhill was very tough going...

When I got back home I showered, warmed-up, had lunch then started cleaning and sorting the gears out on the Merida.


The whole groupset was very dry and dirty...the rear and front de-railer were so gunked up they weren't indexing properly.

The whole lot was stripped down, meticulously cleaned, light oil applied to moving assemblies and everything was worked to ensure it moved properly.

The chain was cleaned, front de-railer was bent back into shape, rear jockeys removed, cleaned, re-lubed and re-assembled, the cassette was stripped down, cleaned, oiled and re-assembled.

All the brake blocks were changed....

Then finally the bike was put on the turbo

The rear gear indexing was re-set-up

Then the front de-railer limit stops adjusted for correct action.

0 comments:

Post a Comment