My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

24th February 2010

Worked from home today...It was a really tough day and I didn't get everything done that I needed to:-(

My new cassette for the Merida turned up today :-)

I was in two minds whether to go to the cycle club or not, it was very wet and windy out.
1800 Medium-level Cloud 7.5 °C ENE 7 mph

10 km 987 hPa, Falling
1900 Light Rain Showers 7.0 °C NE 7 mph

10 km 987 hPa, Falling
But I had to go and pick some paperwork up...there was no way I was going to drive there and if I was going to cycle I may as well go for the normal 20....

At 6:10 I set off for my 'Normal 20' ending up at the cycle club for the 7:30 meet.

I picked up the paperwork I needed and had a cuppa and a slice of cake :-)

I also got some advice about how to increase the life of the cassette, simple really, just use multiple chains and cycle them! So I am going to buy two more chains and cycle each chain every 1000 miles :-)

At 8 set of for the short ride back home.....

The Garmin had the ride as 23.87 miles in 1 hour 26 minutes with an average speed of 16.6 mph, route here...

Tonight was another one of those examples where the thought of going out was far far worse than the event, I ended up really enjoying it!

6 comments:

Rafe said...

Do you have a chain checker tool? As I understand it if you use such a tool to ensure you change the chain before .75%wear then you can get several chains to a cassette.

John Berry said...

Aup RAfe...I use the sheldon brown approach of 12 links then how much over the inch the link is...

If its 1/4 of an inch or more the chain and cassette are fecked....problem is I do so many miles I forget to check all the time :-(

I think I like the no thought approach of 3 chains and swap them monthly...That way I should at least get a year out of them all!

I don't mind so much on the winter bike...the components are soooo much cheaper.

I did notice yesterday that if I had swapped the 105 cassette for an Ultegra they I could get an 11/28.....may be worth thinking in that direction for you????

Rafe said...

Get yourself one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=5784

and keep it near your gatorade bottle of white spirit. It takes two seconds to check your chain after you've taken it out the bottle. Change the chain when it gets to .75% wear.

I had seen the 11/28, but thanks anyway. Will see how I get on with the stock setup and if I struggle I know what I'll be ordering ;)

Rafe said...

Oh, Halfords do a version of that chain checker and I think it might even be cheaper, though of course it won't say "Park Tools" on it ;)

John Berry said...

Thxs Rafe....I have ordered one...I will use it in conjunction with 3 chains....My challenge is to make the cassette last the year...and do the 11404 miles......

Rafe said...

Actually I think you can change the chain at or just before 1% (the flip side of the tool) and still be okay. The .75% side of the tool warns you that the 1% is on it's way ;)

Ah, I wasn't sure if you were going to accept my challenge or wait until you'd got some more miles under your belt and then see. Whatver, the "offer" remains, but remember you only have until Christmas Eve to do another 10,329 miles. No big deal, it's only about 34 miles a day.

Post a Comment