My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

6th April 2010

I didn't go cycling at all today! The tendon in my left leg is still aching, but not as bad as yesterday :-)

We spent the night in Snowdonia (Tan-y-Bwlch near Maentwrog), then set off home straight after breakfast... I did not feel well at all last night, I could hardly eat anything, I ended up going to bed at 8:30!

.....I suppose I should fill in the story for yesterday...then a few pictures from Sunday followed by what I have been doing today :-) I will write a full trip summary tomorrow...

Yesterday...NCR5 Day 4

I met up with Jon (Red Bikes) where we left off at Prestatyn, I thought the headwind on Sunday was bad enough, but Monday was hell.

It didn't take to long to cycle the couple of miles to the sea front, where the whole journey suddenly seemed worthwhile :-)

Although I should have realised that a sea front ride would include sand, and sand isn't easy to cycle on...On my first encounter I almost nose dived in....Jon seemed completely unphased by it.

The journey was incredibly slow going, in the first hour we had covered little more than 12 miles, as Jon hadn't had a particularly hearty breakfast and I fancied a Cuppa (and a Bacon Roll) we stopped at a beach-front cafe at Abergele...I also took the opportunity to text Joby of our current situation...

Once we were fuelled we struck on...

The head wind was still bloody painful!

As we approached Colwyn-Bay there was some more comical cycle lane painting....do they really expect people to weave in and out of the lamp posts?

At about 11:45 we finally reached Conwy Castle and met up with Joby...
As Joby had some local knowledge he had sensibly opted for the road bike, with the very strong head wind I was seriously envying him!

The original plan was to meet up and head over the Sychnant Pass, but as the head wind was so strong, Jon had the world's heaviest loaded bike and my left leg tendon was starting to ache again we opted to stick with the NCR 5 coast route.

Although having a two way cycle way (not wide enough) and cycling head-on to very fast traffic with no crash barrier was interesting.

A little further down the road we were taken off the A55 and on to a rather good purpose built cycle way...

After the toughest 40 miles I have EVER done the first signs to Holyhead appeared...

We rode on for another couple of miles then came across a farm shop / cafe that was celebrating its opening, near the entrance was a warm dry area where we could park the bikes and eat/drink

They had cider on tap :-) so I took the opportunity to have a pint and a sandwich :-)

After the stop we battled on again to Bangor where NCR 5 did another one of its interesting twists.....Joby did try warning us....but didn't insist enough!!!

NCR 5 took us up ferkin steep hills (I guess so you could see Snowdon) to then double back on itself, we ended up doing about 4 miles to cover 1 mile in distance :-(

But finally we reached another milestone....The Menai Bridge

At the other end of the bridge the cross wind was so strong that I had my left foot unclipped from the pedal and was using it as a counter balance...the bike was tilted 45 degrees for me to keep in a straight line, god knows how Joby stayed upright on the road bike?

After the Menai Bridge we headed north for a brief period and had the full on tailwind behind us for a couple of miles....it was sheer heaven!

As we turned back west the cross winds became more than a little dangerous....I needed to stop to stretch my left leg...it was starting to become VERY painful....but the views were awesome..

Jon also took the opportunity to take off the boil in the bag rain jacket and Joby made the sensible call to get picked up from Holyhead instead of attempting to cycle back Llandudno.

After the stretch my leg felt a little better so we continued on....The almost constant load was not helping...it was even hard work going down hill at times...

We stopped at a small shop to stock up on fluids, and we all agreed to make a direct B line to Holyhead, the wind was dangerous and we all wanted to finish, the people in the shop said we were about 17 miles from Holyhead....unfortunately none of us really knew where we were! and the only maps we had were electronic :-(

As we plodded along I came to the realisation that there were only two roads into Holyhead the A5 and the A55 and if we weren't careful we would be heading on to the wrong one...We came to a crossroads and I opted for turning right and taking us back onto the planned NCR5 route.

The finally the inevitable happened...after 370 miles.....a car was parked blocking the cycle way..

Then it was a slow and painful ride over the bridge to Holy Island...

A short ride through the Island...where we managed to lose Jon.....he decided to practise some of his mountain bike skills by traversing a major swamp, where Joby and Myself decided to divert using a nice tarmac surface...I don't think we were allowed to cycle through the golf club but if we were stopped I was going to pretend to be Polish :-)

Then it was on to the worlds biggest anticlimax......the end of NCR 5.....

The sign shows the way to......

The ferry terminal......

They could have least ended it at the sea front....


My Wifey and Joby's family were waiting at the end of NCR 8....at the sea front....


Hmmmmmm NCR 8....anybody fancy doing Cardiff to Holyhead on NCR 8 :-) now that goes over some mountains :-)

The Garmin had the ride as 77.6 miles in 6 hours 37 minutes with an average speed of 11.7 mph, route here....

Here are some photies from Sunday....

The Start of NCR5 at Stone

Back on to pleasant canal paths

But with ridiculous cycle barriers...

I though I had missed Jon....he said he was at a place called Hanley....thankfully there was a canal map on the canal....I hadn't got to Hanley yet :-)

I finally met up with Jon...It was a bit daunting he was riding a fully loaded bike weighing a ton and was still flying up the hills....

Some of the obstacles were a little more problematic for him than me....

Another muddy bog farm track that is titled as a cycle path!

Yet another closed cycle path with NO clue signed to how to rejoin it :-(

Flint castle....not far from my night stop, but like some fool I decided to do the extra 10 miles to Prestatyn.....it turned into the worlds toughest 20 miles!!!

Jon was starting to find dragging the ton of bike up hills a bit of a bind......I would have given up long ago...



And on to today.....

We got back home from Snowdonia at 12:30 ish, I went for a walk into town to get a haircut and my leg was still aching (Not really helped by driving nearly 200 miles...)

I then spent the first part of the afternoon cleaning the Dawes

Not only was it VERY dirty...

The cassette was full of sand...

It was all stripped down and cleaned (including jockeys) and was treated to a new chain, the old one was stretched...

After the Dawes was re-assembled, I started cooking tea...

As the Lamb shanks were simmering I cleaned up and lubed the Peugeot it was also treated to a new cassette and chain...


As I like the idea of doing another NCR ride I also started exploring the idea of a cyclocross bike, I find the Hybrid to hard on my hands and I need drop bars to get out of the wind....

5 comments:

Clive Chapman said...

Awesome mate, just bloody awesome!

Joby said...

I'm glad you got a pic of that car blocking the cycle lane. As I slowed to get my camera, the owner of the car gave me the dirtiest look :)

Anonymous said...

Next time can I come? looks like serious fun. :) Sorry to hear about the pain though.

John Berry said...

@Clive...nope I tend to agree with everybody else....Mad....Monday in the strong wind was dangerous, tough and mad...

@Joby...I thought of you when I took the picture :-)

@notthewowy...Everybody is welcome :-) I am thinking about doing NCR8 next.....Cardiff to Holyhead....but dont let every body else know :-)
My tendon is still aching a bit....I hope it clears up for Saturday....

Joby said...

Will the NCR8 be a pooey lane like in Holyhead or a proper lane like through most of N Wales?

Post a Comment