My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

1st November 2009 (Sunday)

Got up early o'clock, sorted out the bike and set of on the short pedal from the Quay Inn to Butlins for the start at 7 am.

It was VERY wet and VERY...VERY windy!

After a little wait we were told that the start had been delayed from 7 till 8, due to the inclement weather and the very strong winds (Gusting to over 51 mph).

A little while later we were told that the 100 mile route was cancelled, all riders would be doing the 100k route.

I milled around for over an hour then managed to get myself at the front for the start.

Once we set off I started with a good pace, overtaking quite a few, then on the first hill I was passed by a few.

The first cattle grid was on a steep incline and was very slippery, I didn't chance cycling over it to hoped of and walked, I watched one guy attempt to cycle it and he almost came a cropper, the back wheel started spinning and he went backwards, eventually stopping.

The ride although very wet was not windy...

Then it all changed we started pedalling up on top of the moor, it got VERY steep, VERY wet and VERY windy. We were battling up a steep gradient directly into strong gusting winds. The combination of the weather conditions turned the top of the moor into a pea-souper.

After a tough ride into wind we changed direction so that it was blowing across the road, it was a bit dangerous as when the wind gusted I got blown more than halfway across the road on a number of occasions.

Then there was a short respite as we turned and had a full on tail wind. It was a bit scary! at one point I was squeezing the brakes full on and was still doing 30 mph.

Then it was back into wind again :-(

The 25% descent into Lynmouth was a very welcome break, at the bottom of the hill we turned left and had a nice sheltered climb back to the top of the moor.

I stopped at the first food station (34 miles) as I was busting for a pee.

After the food station (Simonsbath) it was a nice tailwind, none of the hills were an issue at all :-)

There was a short loop about 15 miles from the end, to pad the miles out a bit I guess?

After the loop it was downhill nearly all the way back to Minehead and the finish.

I enjoyed the ride, even though the conditions were bad, there was a constant stream of people overtaking me, but I still finished in a reasonable time, and at a reasonable time :-)

After the ride I got changed, and wifey n me went to 'The Ship' at Porlock Weir for a nice roast lunch.


The Garmin had the ride as 60.91 miles in 4 hours 38 mins with an average speed of 13.1 mph

The statistics for October are...
Distance:927.52 mi
Max Distance:126.29 mi
Time:59:00:44 h:m:s
Elevation Gain:36,555 ft
Max Elevation Gain:8,045 ft
Avg Speed:15.7 mph
Max Speed:45.2 mph
Calories:69,859 C

I have cycled 318 miles between last Saturday and Today....Not bad considering I had a relaxing week off :-)

4 comments:

RIch said...

Sounds like a real challange. Very sensible to contain the ride at the single shorter distance. Well done for braving the elements.

I missed the challenge ride today, I got up in time but the weather was not sensible riding conditions so I went back to bed. Got out and did a windy 20 miles at lunchtime and felt better after doing that.

Red Bike said...

I went 100yrds up the road on Sunday morning and decided I wasn't riding anywhere. The wind was too strong for me.

Fantastic achievement getting out never mind doing a 100km sportive!

John Berry said...

Thnxs Rich...

Thxs Red...It was bloody hard work riding into wind on to the moor....and VERY dangerous with the strong side/tail winds...

It was a good ride however :-) And the early finish ment I could spend some quality time with wifey :-)

Lost Sheep said...

That sounded like one rather scary ride!

I was meant to be riding with friends on Sunday, but was kinda glad my shoulder was too painful. I'd never had made it anywhere in the atrocious weather.

Post a Comment