My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 16, 2009

16th November 2009

Got in from work and started cleaning the Merida (I haven't cleaned it for a couple of weeks, I committed the ultimate sin of putting clean oil on dirty chain yesterday!)

I took the chain off and soaked it in white spirit and then set about washing the bike.

After tea I dismantled the rear cassette and cleaned it of using white spirit, as it was getting cold out I brought the wheel and cassette indoors to dry of the cassette and re-assemble it on the wheel.

I also dismantled the rear dérailleur jockey wheels, cleaned them up and re greased the bearings.

As I was feeling industrious I also lubed all of the cables as well.

I really do think it time to put the bike to bed for the year now! (Although I will probably use it on the turbo trainer!)

3 comments:

Rafe said...

Excellent use of kitchen table. After the white spirit you should have placed them in the dishwasher for mega clean.

I'm afraid I don't subscribe to the idea of putting a bike to bed. Then again, I don't have the luxury of two bikes that can serve the same purpose!

John Berry said...

Ahhh now why didn't I think of the Dishwasher :-)

Well it probably wont actually go to bed, it will most likely sit in my office on the turbo! apart from a few planned longish rides :-)

I must admit I am starting to get hacked off with cleaning the bikes every time I use them!

Red Bike said...

I am terrible for cleaning bikes. I think thats why I like the single speed.

I'm seriously looking at a disc braked single speed. No gears or wheels to clean.

Post a Comment