My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

27th October 2009

Had a plan for a nice and easy ride from Chippenham to Cheddar, meet wifey and daughter for lunch, wander around aimlessly then drive home.....Plan worked...but the ride to Cheddar was far from easy!

I guess it is not wise to head in a South Westerly direction when its a Southerly wind!
1100 Medium-level Cloud 14.7 °C SSE 15 mph
25 km 1018 hPa, Rising
1200 Medium-level Cloud 15.1 °C SSE 15 mph
30 km 1018 hPa, Falling
1300 Medium-level Cloud 15.8 °C SSE 14 mph
40 km 1017 hPa, Falling

Saying that, I planned a nice route taking me across country to Bath then onto the Bath & Bristol cycle way, then followed Regional Route 10 to Chew Magna Lake then across country to Cheddar :-)

Some of the roads were a tadge green...

I would normally go to Bath following the A4 but I thought cross country would be better, it was a wise decision (Although a bit slower due to the rural, slippery and leave strewn roads)..I saw Box Tunnel from a new and interesting angle.

And zoomed in a bit...

After a few more rural lanes...

I popped out at Bath...The traffic was stationary...I zapped up the Bus/Cycle-lane at a cracking pace...I really do not understand why people attempt to drive through city centres?

I took a few obligatory photo's of Bath architecture...


The it was on to the main Bristol Bath cycle-way

I held a very good 20 mph + pace on the cycle way, although it could have been very treacherous if I needed to stop as some stretches were very leaf strewn...

All to soon I reached the Avon Cycleway (Regional Route 10) and things slowed down a lot!

The roads were strewn with a lot of storm derbies and the down-hill's were treacherous, shame as there were plenty of climbs and I could never get a speed advantage from the descents...

At Pensford I took a few photographs of the Pensford via-duct.

It is amazing to think of how much effort must have gone into making the bridge, It was built in 1873 and closed less than a 100 years later in 1968
The Avon Cycle-Way goes right under it, and then climbs...and climbs...and climbs...

After some time I ended up at Chew Magna Lake.

I guess it was because I had only planned a 45 mile ride, and it should have only taken 2 1/2 hours, It had already taken 2 1/2 hours to get here and I still had 12 miles left to go....and the biggest climb of the day...

Eventually I was on the rather nice downhill of Cheddar Gorge, and not even the headwind was slowing me down :-) (I guess mainly because the Gorge walls were stopping ANY wind...


I was expecting to get to Cheddar at about 12 pm, I eventually landed at nearer 1 pm :-(

The first call of action was to have lunch...

As I had ridden from Chippenham to Cheddar, I couldn't resist having Cheddar cheesy Chips n Ham :-)

We then had a walk through Cheddar and went into Gough's cave

And after a nice Cream Tea and a few more walks we headed for home....

The Garmin had the ride as 42.93 miles in a shocking 3 hours 13 minutes with a rather poor average speed of 13.3 mph, route here...

4 comments:

Trigger said...

Nice to see you out and about John. Looks like a lovely day out. Are you planning on going to Russ Moreys party next year? Let me know, I'll be on MSN this week.

Red Bike said...

That looks like a cracking ride. I'm becoming rather fund of lanes that are a tad green. You get to feel as though you're riding 'off-road' but there's no mud!

John Berry said...

Trigger...Yep it was a bleedin marvellous day out :-) and yep we are going to Russ's little shindig next year

Red.. The ride was great, although having the bike go sideways on Sunday with no way of stopping it has left me more than a little cautious!

Joby said...

I often wonder why people choose to drive in City Centres too - madness.

I ofter wonder why I used to do it too :)

Sounds like another cracker of a ride too.

Post a Comment