My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Day 97

I worked from home today - and I didnt go swimming as wifey is not feeling on top form

It at least allowed me to drop the wheel of to the cycle shop when I took Rosie for a walk in the morning, I was then able to pick it up again just after lunch - when I got back from taking wifey to the doc's.

I managed to go out for a shortish ride after tea - just 18 .77 miles getting back home again at 9pm.

The ride was really quite pleasant and there was very little traffic on the road.

2 comments:

DaveTheA said...

You need to consider a different back wheel or have it rebuilt by a wheelbuilder. It probably would last if you had it laced differently; is it radially spoked or crossed. If crossed, how many times does it cross....I did warn you that you are too strong to just ignore these things. A better hub and rim would be within you affordability. Also why not just look at the current wheel and see if it's badly built. Has it got washers on the nipples, what weight are the spokes, are there signs that the rim has given way at the spoke hole, when the spokes break is it at the nipple or hub? Let me know or call or send pictures. I could stop by on Thursday, early though.

John Berry said...

The spokes are breaking at the hub. The bike shop geezer says the hub is a good one (Shimano Deore M530) The spokes are stainless and are interlaced the rim is an AlexRims ACE18.

The guy in the shop has checked the wheel over and he thought the spokes may have been badly seated, but they were not ;-(

The spokes are breaking at the hub on the gear side (They are of course under higher tension)

Plan is to see if I break another one in the next 400 miles...If I do I will re-think.

It may well be that the roads I am riding down just are a little to rough.....

Post a Comment