My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

18th July 2009 (Saturday)

Got up, tidied the house a little then headed to Melksham to pick up my repaired back wheel :-)

Whilst we were there we took Rosie (Dog) for a walk along the river bank :-)

When we got back home, I planned the afternoon cycle route and had lunch :-)

I wanted to do a couple of hills but not burn myself out as we are going to a concert tonight (Vanessa Mae at Westonbirt), I also have plans to do a big ride tomorrow down to Lynmouth over Porlock :-)

I ended using the Chippenham Wheelers Bratton route but added the climb over Westbury White Horse and a climb over Naish Hill on the way back, turning the 40 mile ride into a 50 mile ride with about 3000 feet of climb :-)

It was quite windy with some tough gusting...
1300 Medium-level Cloud 15.2 °C WSW 16 mph
40 km 1012 hPa, Rising
1400 Medium-level Cloud 15.2 °C SW 10 mph
40 km 1012 hPa, Steady
1500 Medium-level Cloud 17.2 °C SW 13 mph
25 km 1011 hPa, Falling

The route was really good, hardly any main road, this did mean however some of the roads were quite dirty...


I passed the old drunk lock-up at Steeple Ashton, which is apparently now used to store the lawn mower for cutting the Village Green.

The climb up to Bratton Camp seemed a lot easier than the last time I did it :-)

I was flying along on the return loop with a full on tail wind :-) the sun came out to greet me :-)

The ride up Naish Hill starting at 44 miles was a little tougher than normal, but it is definitely a case of mind over matter!

The cycle computer had the ride as 50.49 miles in 3 hours 3 minutes with an average speed of 16.4 mph.

The GPS track can be found here...

I have ordered a 12-27 rear cassette for the Merida today (That will help get up the steep hills as it will give me a lower gear - The Merida currently has an 11-25 fitted)
I have also ordered a new cassette and chain for the Peugot. (I will order a new chain for the Merida before I use the new cassette)

0 comments:

Post a Comment