My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Day 256 (Saturday)

Got up, had breky, fitted Race Blade mudguards to the Merida, wouldn't want to get my nice shiny new bike dirty now would I? (Was going to fit them yesterday but the front guard proved to be a bit difficult, as you have to bend them to fit)






I set of with no real route in mind, but I did want to try out some hills! So I headed for Batheaston then doubled back up Kingsdown Hill (I was pleasantly surprised with the ease of the hill climb) I then turned right towards Wraxall then to Bradford on Avon. This was my first experience of going down a steep hill with slow traffic, and I found the brakes a tadge awkward to apply firmly unless I used the drop handlebars, then it didn't seem very natural to unclip a foot and put down (I am sure I will get used to it!). From Bradford I headed to Trowbridge, then Bratton, West Lavington. At West Lavington I started to get cold! and I felt I had been working hard into a headwind for miles! I started to find the gears awkward! (At this point I have had 28 gears to work with, and I feel no embarrassment at being on the middle chain ring, for some reason I am avoiding the lower chain ring on the Merida! (How stupid is that!)
From Devizes it was plain sailing home, although the headwind persisted!

According to Lyneham met office the OAT was between 0 and 1 deg C with a 17 mp NE wind, no wonder I was feeling the cold!

The cycle computer showed 50.83 miles in 3 Hours 41 mins with an Average Speed of 13.7 mph.

All in all I am happy with the Merida, I will have to get used to the different gear ratio's. The bike is great fun and on a nice smooth road it comes into its own:-) and the down hills make the up hills worth while:-) I have learnt from Dave that ducking down and making yourself as small as possible whilst going downhill gives an incredible speed that you cant achieve by pedaling :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment