My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://johns-cycling-diary.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, May 5, 2008

Day 20 (Bank Holiday Monday)

Got up at 630.
Had some Fruit N Fibre ;-)

Diced some beef and marinade in red wine for tonight's pies ;-)

Decided that Saturday and Sunday 20 mile rides were good but I thought I could do more.
So I set of on a 30 mile ride at 7:24, I cycled Chippenham, Devizes, Avebury, Calne Chippenham
I arrived back home at 10:15 ;-)

Trackme and GpsGate threw a wobbly at about 10 miles in. So the gmap route is here.

I have now moved Trackme onto my domain so will in future be available here, I have migrated all the existing tracks into it.

Went for a VERY scary drive to Westbury (Tristan was driving) and Trackme performed properly. (Had a picnic on Westbury white horse, I had two Ham rolls made from last nights left over Cider honey roast ham)

After the 30 mile ride my right hand has become very weak. I have looked into the bicycle adjustments and have realised that the handlebars have been to low. I have now adjusted them up (They are at there maximum height), The seat had also dropped, I have now raised this up as well. (Hopefully that explains the left knee ache and the right hand ache)

The 30 miles was about as far as I could go in one hit at the moment. (partly I guess due to the very muddy cycleway from Calne back into Chippenham) I will stick to the 20 miles for a few more weeks before trying the 30 again.

Swimming has been abandoned tonight as I am cooking.....Ohh I already said Beef in Red wine pies with potato mash pastry ;-)

1 comments:

John Berry said...

My Beef in Red Wine pie recipe

Chop 500 grams of Beef stewing steaks into cubes and marinade in 500 ml of red wine (4-5 hours)

When ready to start making pie drain red wine (Place drained wine to one side)

Pour a small amount of olive oil into large non stick pan and brown the steak (A little at a time, when browned remove from pan)

Finely chop a large onion and 3 garlic pods, and add to hot oil.
When onion is sweated through add a tablespoon of flour. (cook for a minute or so)

Add the red wine from earlier, 500 ml of beef stock, the browned beef, A bay leaf a squirt of Tomato purée, a glug of balsamic vinegar, a glug of Worcester sauce, load of button mushrooms handfull of finely sliced carrots.

bring to boil then simmer for 1.5 hours.

To make the pastry boil 1 medium sized potato (Chopped for mash)
when cooked drain the water and mash, put to one side to cool.

When mash is cool, put 200 grammes of self raising flour in a bowl, add 150 grammes of sliced butter (I use low fat, no salt marge)
a pinch of salt and rub together with fingers.
Add the mash and if needed some more flour to form a 'normal' pastry ball. Place in bag and stick in the fridge for half an hour.

When the pie filling is stewed ;-) Separate into individual pie dishes and roll out the pastry for the pie top (About 1/2 - 1 cm thick)

Brush with a beaten egg and bake in the oven for 30 mins at 190 ....

Post a Comment